Capital Improvements

Owners of deed restricted units can make certain capital improvements to their unit and receive credit at the time of resale or refinance. The type and dollar amount of capital improvements and other contingencies vary with the homeowner’s individual deed restriction. In addition, some APCHA complexes have their own unique capital improvement policies.

Receiving a Capital Improvement Credit

  1. Receive approval from APCHA by completing the Request to Receive Approval for a Capital Improvement form (link to document).
  2. Contact City and/or County building departments to see if a building permit is required.
  3. If required, obtain a building permit(s). If the Building Department informs you that a permit is not required, you will need to obtain an email or other official document stating so. 
  4. Complete the capital improvement.
  5. Upon completion, furnish APCHA with copies of permit(s), a letter of completion from the Building Department, and all paid receipts for materials and labor (either a canceled check or invoice showing "Paid"). 
  6. Submit a $50 payment to APCHA and schedule a site visit to verify the improvement.