There are several different ways the development of affordable workforce housing occurs:
- Either through the City or County;
- By any party required to mitigate the impacts of new development under the City or County’s respective land use codes; and
- By private interests (e.g. employers), either separately or in partnership with government and/or non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
APCHA Affordable Housing Development Policy (PDF) defines the various options and opportunities available to both the private and public sector developers, including the standards for private development mitigation.
Current & Near Future Projects
In association with with Aspen Housing Partners LLC and the City of Aspen, three rental development projects are slated to begin construction in Spring 2019 with completion expected in 2020.
- January, 2022: Burlingame Ranch Phase III Affordable Housing Development
- October 11, 2021: Update on Burlingame Phase III: Project Description
- September 27, 2021: Finishing the Burlingame Ranch puzzle piece by piece
- July 2, 2020: New rentals at 802 W. Main St., Aspen draw interest from 168 hopefuls
- February 7, 2020: Second phase of planning for new affordable housing in Aspen underway
- January 16, 2020: Aspen Housing plan could bring in 150-215 units
- November 20, 2019: Aspen City Council looks at lumberyard housing development concepts
- October 18, 2019: Aspen affordable housing projects under construction gaining more interest
- October 9, 2019: Aspen moves forward with $11M contract for property to help with future affordable housing & City buys Aspen Mini Storage, expanding lumberyard property
- August 13, 2019: City of Aspen to host meetings on affordable housing plans
- June 25, 2019: Aspen’s electeds sign off on $1.5M in contracts to build affordable housing
- May 1, 2019: City moving on hundreds of workforce housing units
- April 19, 2019: Construction begins on new affordable rentals
Timeline of Housing Developments
For the most up-to-date information, please visit Aspen Community Voice