There are several different ways the development of affordable workforce housing occurs:
- Either through the City or County;
- By any party required to mitigate the impacts of new development under the City or County's respective land use codes; and
- By private interests (e.g. employers), either separately or in partnership with government and/or non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Part III of the Employee Housing Guidelines (PDF) defines the various options and opportunities available to both the private and public sector developers, including the standards for private development mitigation.
Current & Near Future Projects
In association with with Aspen Housing Partners LLC and the City of Aspen, three rental development projects are slated to begin construction in Spring 2019 with completion expected in 2020.
- October 18, 2019: Aspen affordable housing projects under construction gaining more interest
- October 9, 2019: Aspen moves forward with $11M contract for property to help with future affordable housing & City buys Aspen Mini Storage, expanding lumberyard property
- August 13, 2019: City of Aspen to host meetings on affordable housing plans
- June 25, 2019: Aspen's electeds sign off on $1.5M in contracts to build affordable housing
- May 1, 2019: City moving on hundreds of workforce housing units
- April 19, 2019: Construction begins on new affordable rentals
Update July 2019
It is expected occupancy could occur as early as second quarter 2020. At this point, 802 West Main Street will be the first property to be available in 2020. Further information will come regarding what the process will look like to fill these unit in future.
802 West Main Street - Total of 10 Units:
|802 West Main Street||APCHA Category 1||APCHA Category 2||APCHA Category 3||APCHA Category 4||Total|
|1-Bedroom / 1-Bath Units||5 Units||5 Units||10 Units|
|Total||5 Units||5 Units||10 Units|
488 Castle Creek Road - Total of 24 Units:
|488 Castle Creek Road||During the term of the Land Use Restrictive Agreement, Low Income Housing Tax Credit: 60% AMI or less||After Expiration of the Land Use Restrictive Agreement: APCHA Category 1, 2, 3, or 4|
|1-Bedroom / 1-Bath Units||18||18|
|2-Bedroom / 2-Bath Units||6||6|
517 Park Circle - Total of 11 Units:
|517 Park Circle||APCHA Category 1||APCHA Category 2||APCHA Category 3||APCHA Category 4||Total|
|1-Bedroom / 1-Bath Units||2 Units||5 Units||7 Units|
|2-Bedroom / 2-Bath Units||2 Units||2 Units||4 Units|
|Total||2 Units||7 Units||2 Units||11 Units|
Timeline of Housing Developments
For the most up-to-date information, please visit Aspen Community Voice